To educate, guide and mentor all students to become successful, internationally minded, lifelong learners.
“Whaia te tikitiki” – Reach for the heights.
BBI students are self-motivated, with a love for learning. They are excited by the opportunities provided at school, and have the independence of spirit to become lifelong learners. They are active participants in their learning, rather than it being seen as something that is ‘done’ to them.
Learners give consideration to their own learning and experience, assessing and understanding their strengths and limitations in order to set targets and goals to support their learning and personal development. They are effective thinkers, with the creative, critical and metacognitive skills required to enable them to learn how to learn.
Students develop self awareness, courage and confidence in themselves as risk-takers in their learning. They are proud of their achievements, recognising their uniqueness. They are confident decision makers, and have high expectations of themselves and others.
Students have an understanding of the bicultural and multicultural nature of our school and New Zealand society. They are internationally-minded, future focused citizens, aware of their responsibilities towards the environment in which they exist, and to the people they share it with. Students act with integrity and respect, acknowledging the consequences of their actions.
In turn, BBI provides the structures, the environment and the support to enable each student to meet with success. There is a positive school culture based on mutual respect and understanding, inspiring all to strive for their personal best at all times.
For students to be successful, we establish a partnership between students, teachers and parents/ caregivers, with all working together in the best interests of the learner. The school actively promotes this partnership.
Student learning is the focus for all that we do.
What we value:
- The learning needs of our students
- Diversity and difference
- Education seen as a partnership
- All learners are goal setters and reflective
- Care for others and the environment
In achieving our core values students will:
- be active participants in their learning
- be safe and secure
- act with integrity and respect, and take responsibility for their actions
- make a positive difference to the lives of others and to the environment
- set goals to support their learning and personal development
- have high expectations and take pride in being a member of BBI
- respect New Zealand’s bicultural and multicultural heritage.
In achieving our core values staff will:
- develop innovative programmes which offer all students the opportunity to succeed
- create a welcoming learning environment
- maintain a climate of mutual respect
- strive for excellence
- respect New Zealand’s bicultural and multicultural heritage
- be committed to achieving school’s vision
- consider themselves as learners and set goals for their development.
Bucklands Beach Intermediate believes in:
- students leading their learning
- priority on academic excellence
- the importance of English and mathematics
- high standards in personal presentation and behaviour
- the highest quality teaching by dedicated, qualified, experienced and specialist staff
- the latest in teaching and learning methods
- being innovative
- full use of modern of modern computer technology as a learning tool across all curriculum areas
- a supportive, caring environment which promotes self-worth and self respect
- appropriate programmes which will develop independence, enjoyment and success for each student
- inquiry is an integral part of our programmes and includes action
- programmes cater for different learning styles
- programmes to foster goal setting, decision making and reflection
- opportunities to develop leadership skills
- regular homework related to class programmes
- emphasis on two way teacher-parent communication and co-operation
- opportunities to participate in a wide range of musical and cultural activities
- an extensive physical education and sporting programme
- outdoor education programmes for all students.